Sometimes.... you have three different vegetables all going bad at the same time.
Sometimes... you have small amounts of leftovers that barely make a snack.
This meal was created because of all of these reasons. But I've made it on purpose several other times now, because it was a random success. It's also a winner in my book because it takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. Which means I can cook this and eat it faster than a pizza would be delivered to my house.
I call it Green on Green on Green because it's just that - Brussels sprouts with broccoli, on top of a bed of mixed greens (I like turnip greens and arugula!).
|see what I mean?|
Green on Green on Green
1 lb Brussels Sprouts, halved
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
2 TBSP grape seed oil (or other high heat oil)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp sea salt (to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper (to taste)
8 cups your choice of greens (2 per person)
Optional: 1 cup cooked lentils, rice, black beans, chick peas.... whatever you might have around. It just adds nice texture to have a third non-green element.
1. Cut brussels and broccoli, then place in bowl with 1TBSP oil and salt + pepper. Toss.
2. Place large skillet (that has a lid!) over medium high heat and add additional 1TBSP of oil with your minced garlic. Cook until fragrant, then add brussels/broccoli mix, leave uncovered for now, stir occasionally.
3. While those are cooking, fill each bowl with the greens and add your extra beans/rice/additional filler if desired.
4. After about 5 minutes, place the lid on your skillet. This will make the broccoli get reeeeeeally green and tasty. Allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes, brussels should start to get nice char marks.
5. Remove from heat and add a scoop to each bed of greens. No need for dressing, as the B+B mix takes care of that.
|See the tiny bit of rice in there? Probably not even 1/4 cup.|
The crazy thing about this meal is how filling it is. I usually find myself a little hungry after a salad, but this was so satisfying in a great way! Plus, greens are SO GOOD for you :)
Also, this is excellent as a leftover. Just stow the B+B mix on it's own and add to greens after you reheat them for lunch the next day. BOOM.